I love broccoli. I love cheese. And I love soup. So you can imagine how happy I was with this recipe.
The other week, we got a delivery of vegetables from Oh My Gulay. It had cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage and carrots. There were so many! We chopped them up and put them in the freezer, to be cooked as needed.
The broccoli included the thick stalks. My mom told me that we could cook those too, so I just chopped off the woody part. The more tender parts I put in the freezer. These are the parts I used for the soup.
- Broccoli stalk, chopped – I prefer them in small pieces, like coins or smaller
- Chicken broth
- Cheez Whiz
- Black pepper
- Boil broccoli in chicken broth, until each piece can easily be pierced with a fork. Remove from heat
- In a pot, add Cheez Whiz. Dilute with chicken broth–yep, the same broth in which you boiled the broccoli.
- Add milk and cream in small amounts.
- Add CheezWhiz and broth alternately until you are happy with the consistency.
- Season with pepper.
- Add broccoli.