I’ve been craving burgers. Not fast food burgers. I mean those fat juicy patties dripping with fat, slathered with cheese, topped with real vegetables, shoved into a bun.
The craving was so intense that when I caught the scent of a Jollibee Yumburger–by no means my favorite burger–I felt tears in my eyes.
Jollibee burger steak though, now that’s a favorite. I love the gravy poured all over it. When I was pregnant, I walked about two blocks just to satisfy a craving.
The other day, my friend TJ sent a picture of the burger steak his family had for dinner, and I remembered my craving. So I made burger steaks! And gravy! And fries!
- Ground meat – About half kilo. I used pork.
- Shredded carrots – leftovers, actually, from the carrot cake we made the other day.
- Onions – peeled and diced
- Eggs – I used two
- Salt and pepper
- Tarragon – currently my default herb
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Form patties.
3. Heat your pan with some oil. I used cast iron pans on high heat.
4. Carefully arrange the patties in the pan. Cook on medium heat for about ten minutes on each side.
The patties were a bit thick, so I wasn’t confident that they were cooked all the way through. So I baked them.
5. Pre-heat oven. Bake patties for about 10 minutes on high heat.
For the gravy, you’ll need:
- Pork broth (or water and a pork broth cube)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
I used to hate making roux, because it’s damned fussy. But eventually I got the hang of it.
How to make the gravy:
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan.
- Keep the flame low. Add a small amount of flour. Mix with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Keep adding flour in small amounts until you have a thick paste.
- Add pork broth in small amounts until you have your preferred consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
We paired them with oven-roasted carrots and air fryer fries. It was lovely!