We ordered KFC last Sunday. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed fast food, but I realize I didn’t miss how salty it was! I enjoyed a piece of chicken, some mashed potatoes and the dinner rolls, but after a while the salt was a little overwhelming.
Oneal and I went out for supplies on Monday morning, and we had the KFC for lunch. I figured people were tired of the KFC, and I didn’t want to keep it in the fridge, forgotten, for over a week. so I decided to use it for a pasta dish.
- Fusilli – You can use any pasta you want–penne, spirals, fettuccine. I just really missed fusilli.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Leftover chicken – I used KFC, but you can use any fried chicken or chicken nuggets you like! Just tear the meat from the bone and chop it into bite-sized pieces. This might work with roast chicken too.
- Tomatoes – chopped into crescents
- Cook pasta as instructed. When done, remove from water and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil and butter. Cook mushrooms.
- Add the pasta. Season with tarragon.
- Add about a tablespoon of cream.
- Heat up the shredded chicken in the oven, toaster or microwave.
- Put tomatoes in a baking dish with olive oil, salt and garlic. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When chicken is hot, pour into pan with pasta.
- When tomatoes are roasted, pour into pan with pasta. Mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle cheese all over. Serve hot.
This turned out much better than I expected. The salt from the chicken flavored the pasta nicely. The tomato provided a nice contrast to the salt. The butter and cream made everything moist and creamy.