I like beans! I like cheese and tomatoes. I like corn and carrots. So really, throw them all together and you have chili! Put it in rice and tortillas!
- Red kidney beans, 1 can
- Whole kernel corn, 1 can (Another option is half a can of cream-style corn.)
- Carrots, one or two depending on your preference. Chop into small cubes.
- Ground meat (We usually use pork. You can use chicken but it tends to be dry and bland. Beef tends to be heavy and fatty.)
- Red onion, 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic, 1 whole bulb, chopped
- Tomato sauce, 1 to 2 250 mL packets
- Broth cube (should be the same as the meat you’re using)
- Spanish paprika
- Black pepper
- In a pan, saute onion and garlic. When these are soft, add meat. Cook until brown.
- Add carrots. Cook until carrots are soft enough to be pierced by a fork.
- Add corn. Cook for a few minutes. Mix in broth cube.
- Add tomato sauce. If you want the sauce thick, use two packets. If you want it a little lighter, especially for pouring over rice, add water or broth.
- Season with cinnamon, cumin, black pepper and oregano. Add Spanish paprika sparingly. Add hot sauce or chili oil if you want it spicy. You can also add a little sugar.
Enjoy with rice, chips, taco shells or potatoes.
(I make chili so often that I forget to take a photo!)