Some recipes just get better and better.
This started out as what I jokingly referred to as “fancy pork and beans.” Ever since I first made it, I’ve found little ways to level it up. Finally, I think I’ve outdone my original recipe. As with many of the dishes I put together, this latest iteration happened because I was missing some ingredients and there were others in the kitchen.
I’m really happy with how this turned out.
- Sausages – Any kind. We used a Fantastic! BBQ Party Pack, which had five different kinds of sausage. You can chop them into medallions or strips.
- Canned lentils – I used one can. No need to boil them or anything.
- Canned diced or crushed tomatoes – I used one can.
- Onion – Peeled and chopped. I just used one, but you can use more if you like.
- Garlic – Peeled and chopped. I used a whole head of garlic, because I love garlic.
- Olives – My mom had a bottle of black olives in the fridge, so I tossed them in.
- Capers – My mom had a bottle of capers in the fridge, so I tossed them in too.
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- You can cook the sausages by putting them in a baking dish and roasting them in an oven or toaster for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how toasty you want them to be. I like doing this because this frees me up to cook the rest of the dish while the sausage is baking. If you don’t have an oven or a toaster, you can cook the sausage in a pan with oil, onion and garlic.
- In your pan, saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add lentils. Cook for about two minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add olives and capers. Season with cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper and oregano. Cook for about two minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add canned tomatoes. If this is not enough to cover the other ingredients, add water. Simmer on low heat. Add seasoning to taste.
- If you baked the sausages, now is the time to add them to the other ingredients.
This is absolutely wonderful with toasted baguette slices slathered in butter.