I have not made this in so long.
I don’t really bake, or make dessert. In fact, I don’t really have a sweet tooth. I like chocolate cake, especially with a nice cup of black coffee. I don’t mind crepes and pies, and I absolutely love it when my friend Mary Ann bakes goodies. But most of the time, I don’t really crave sweets.
But I do love this fridge cake.
It was my brother’s birthday last month, and he asked me to make this. I kept forgetting to get ingredients, until last week, when I finally remembered to list them before grocery day.
- Graham crackers, two packs, chocolate (honey works too)
- Condensed milk, small can
- Cream, one pack
- One mug of coffee, room temperature – I prefer to make this out of instant coffee, no sugar or creamer added
- Mix cream and condensed milk in a bowl.
- If you’re using honey graham crackers, you can add a few tablespoons of Milo or your preferred cocoa to the cream and condensed milk mix. (I added four tablespoons.)
- Add coffee. Mix well.
- In a rectangular or square dish, arrange graham crackers in a flat layer.
- Drizzle some of the cream mixture on the graham crackers.
- Repeat the layers of crackers and cream until you have about five or six layers.
- Every two or three layers, gently push down the graham crackers so they absorb the liquid.
- If you have extra liquid, pour it over any dry spots on the crackers.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. You’ll know it’s ready when the liquid recedes a little, because that means the crackers have absorbed it. When you cut into it, the consistency and texture should be closer to an actual cake.
I had enough ingredients for two dishes of fridge cake. Lucas was pretty happy with it, and my mom had two servings!