I’m really sad that we can’t travel, and we can’t bring our son anywhere. He’s so curious about the world, and every time he sees a picture or a video about a fascinating place, he asks, “Can we go there?”
So, I thought, maybe we can bring those places to him!
First, I was thinking of asking friends to send short videos to our son Lucas. But I realize so many of our friends and their kids are stuck here too, and I thought the other kids would enjoy the videos too.
If it’s not too much trouble, and you don’t mind helping out frazzled parents and children in lockdown, I would really love your help with this project.
Are you in? Thank you for being part of Around the World with Lucas & Friends!
Here’s what you can do
- Look at the talking points below. Choose three you would like to talk about.
- Prepare any props, food, pictures, pieces of clothing, etc., that you want to talk about in your video.
- Get ready to shoot!
- Start with, “Hi! I’m ______ and I live in ________.”
- Talk about the country where you live. Please answer these questions:
- What is the country like?
- Describe the land. Are there a lot of mountains or deserts? Beaches? Forests?
- What is the weather like? Sunny? Snowy? Windy? Rainy?
- Go ahead with the talking points you selected! Keep it short and snappy — you know kids and their attention spans!
- If you’re done, please upload to Google Drive.
Talking points: Please choose three at most!
- What are the people like?
- What language do they speak? Maybe you can say a few words or sentences in the language, or show the local writing.
- What clothes do they wear? Can you show a picture or an example?
- What are the foods people eat?
- What’s your favorite?
- What do you like about the country?
- Is there a major landmark that is interesting?
- Do you want to share something about the country’s history?
- What animals can you find in that country?
- What is your house like? Give us a tour.
- Is there something really interesting you want to show? Maybe some ruins, a beautiful lake, a lush forest, unused train tracks, something?
- What do kids like in that country?
- Are there kids in your neighborhood or household? Can they say hi to Lucas and his friends?
- What games or toys do kids like to play?
- Are there any local cartoons or shows that kids like?
- If you visit me, I will… (place you want to take the child, food you want them to try, something you want them to experience)
Not everyone is comfortable talking in front of a camera, even if it’s a camera on their phone, and that’s okay!
- Wear something bright and colorful.
- Keep your answers short but descriptive.
- Don’t worry if you make a mistake! Just laugh and say, “Oops, sorry! Let me try again.”
Thank you so much. I hope one day we can visit you for real!