My mom makes awesome shepherd’s pie. But I am a lazy cook who doesn’t always plan a menu for the week, and so I often end up throwing together whatever I find in the kitchen, hence this shepherd’s pie for lazy people. (My mother was appalled, hee hee.)
- Marble potatoes – I like marble potatoes because I am often too lazy to chop.
- Ground meat – I always have half a kilo of ground pork in the freezer. When I have time, I cook it and then divide it in half, then it goes back in the freezer, ready for use for anything, be it pasta or something baked. For this dish, I added frozen vegetables to the ground meat.
- Shredded cheese – I always have some ChizBoy in the fridge. It doesn’t melt very well in the oven, but it’s great when you mix it in with pasta or meat.
- Cheese sauce – Cheez Whiz is forever!
- Frozen vegetables – As much as possible I like getting carrots and corn only, but sometimes the only frozen veggies available have peas in them. Yuck.
- Bacon – Because bacon makes everything better.
- Preheat oven.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add potatoes. Boil the potatoes until they’re tender enough that you can pierce them with a fork, but they don’t fall apart.
- In a baking dish, arrange bacon strips and bake until no longer pink.
- Drizzle some oil or spread some butter in another baking dish. Arrange the potatoes in one layer in the dish. My marble potatoes were pretty big, so I sliced each one in half.
- Spread meat mixture over the potatoes.
- Spoon Cheez Whiz over each potato. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Top with bacon strips. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is gooey enough and the bacon is crispy enough.
It looked terrible, but damn it was good.